One of the biggest problems that almost every pickleball player is struggling with is the durability of the paddle. Solution? Wooden paddles. Although you might question what makes the wooden paddles unique. Well, the best wood pickleball paddles are the ones that offer more than a competitive advantage over your opponent and elevate your game exponentially.
Wooden paddles aren’t only popular among beginners because of their ability to last for years but are quite famous in schools, clubs, YMCAs, and other recreational activities. In recent years, wood paddles have been making some serious noise in the pickleball realm for their affordability, durability, and strength. And of course, it’s way cheaper, hassle-free, and versatile than making your own pickleball paddle.
- 1 Best Wood Pickleball Paddles
- 1.1 1. Net Beast – Best Wood Paddle For All Levels
- 1.2 2. Rally Meister – Perfect Wooden Paddle For Power & Control
- 1.3 3. Diller Pickleball Paddle – Best Hardwood Paddle
- 1.4 4. Kanga Wood – Power-Oriented Wood Paddle
- 1.5 5. Niupipo Basswood – Most Heavy-Duty Wood Paddle
- 1.6 6. Amazin’ Aces – Lightest Wood Paddle
- 1.7 7. Swinger Wood – Most Affordable Wooden Paddle
- 2 Buying Guide: Wooden Pickleball Paddles
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Best Wood Pickleball Paddles
Wooden paddles have been in use since the sport first came into being solely for the reason that they’re excessively long-lasting. As the world progressed in terms of innovation, so did pickleball, and embraced technology with open arms that unlocked the path for state-of-the-art paddles made of graphite and composite that brought a huge revolution to the sport.
After we left no stone unturned in reflecting upon numerous paddles and finally compiled 7 of the best wood pickleball paddles.
1. Net Beast – Best Wood Paddle For All Levels
The Net Beast Wooden Paddle is specially designed to be the first-choice paddle for novice pickleballers since it’s lightweight as compared to other wooden paddles on the market. The feathery weight of the paddle also plays quite an important role in diminishing pickleball-related injuries, hence why 300+ players reported having reduced shoulder strain, soreness, and tennis elbows according to a medical survey in 2022.
1. The core of the paddle is composed of 7-piles of maple wood, giving enough feedback to pull off awesome drop shots, also making the paddle extremely durable.
2. The tackier 4.92 inches paddle grip works like a charm near the NVZ during an action-packed exchange of blows and gives extra leverage over your opponent.
3. The wood paddle comes with substantial room for a greater sweet spot as the surface of the paddle measures about 7.5 inches, helping in serving the ball with zero errors at the baseline.
4. The decal printed on the face of the paddle comes in handy when having a hard time finding the sweet spot. It’s deliberately placed right at the center to aid beginners in determining the sweet spot.
In hindsight, the paddle houses a perfect balance of power and control which makes it a great paddle not only for beginners looking forward to further improving their game. But also the advanced players who’d like to bag a championship or two.
2. Rally Meister – Perfect Wooden Paddle For Power & Control
The Rally Meister has surely made an impact in the pickleball industry since its inception in 2017. Reason? The careful construction from 7 different plies of white maple, results in a lightweight, long-lasting, and powerful paddle – making the paddle a perfect pick for all levels of players.
1. Integrated with sweat-absorbent, slightly tackier grip for perfect placement of the palm on the handle. The raised edges along the handle surface hardly make the paddle slip from the grasp.
2. Features a 7″ paddle face that allows the player to block the incoming shots without any headache. Plus, you can also place the ball flawlessly because of its wider design.
3. The wooden surface of the paddle gives off a nice pop and feedback that can come in handy to enhance your performance.
4. The wooden construction equips the paddle with unrivaled strength and produces an additional speed of 10 – 15 miles per hour when returning the ball.
The Rally Meister easily tops the list when it comes to an all-in-one package of a paddle that provides the ideal combination of power, spin, control, and forgiveness.
3. Diller Pickleball Paddle – Best Hardwood Paddle
The Diller pickleball paddle makes the entire pickleball experience quite smooth due to its elongated handle so that players can return the ball without covering much distance on the court. This high-quality wooden paddle also comes with a safety strap so that the paddle remains in your hands, rather than end up on the floor.
1. Even though the paddle doesn’t come with an edge guard, the 7-ply hardwood core material makes the paddle 3 times more durable than the ordinary wooden paddle.
2. The average 10 ounces weight equips the paddle with utmost strength so that you can send the ball soaring through the skies without swaying the paddle all the way back for a smash.
3. The paddle function at a peak level of performance, specifically near the kitchen line because of the paddle’s 15.5″ length, emerging as the wooden paddle with the most reach on the court.
4. What’s more? The paddle is infused with an overgrip that is raised from the edges for proper finger and thumb placement, giving players a slightly sturdier feel when grasped in hand.
The wooden material of the paddle thickens the core up to 25% – absorbing the vibrations that may arise when the ball comes in contact with the paddle.
4. Kanga Wood – Power-Oriented Wood Paddle
The Kanga Wood paddle has been firing on all cylinders since it was first released all the way back in 2016. This top-notch paddle has transformed the dynamics of the game because of its unrivaled characteristics i.e. feathery weight, comfortable grip, sizeable sweet spot, and extended grip to name a few.
The key pointers that sum up the Kanga Wood Paddle are:
1. The moderately tackier 5.25″ grip makes it an ideal choice for tennis converts.
2. The durability of the paddle is guaranteed as the surface is polished with satin varnish to keep the dust and dirt at bay.
3. This wooden paddle features a 7″ surface. The broad construction cuts down the ball deflection by 30%.
4. Since the paddle is lightweight in comparison with the traditional wooden paddles (weighing between 9 ounces and 10.6 ounces). It’s an ideal choice for kids aged 12 or below.
5. Niupipo Basswood – Most Heavy-Duty Wood Paddle
The Niupipo Basswood is, without a doubt, a beast of a pickleball paddle since the weight of this wooden paddle is evenly distributed across the face – incorporating the paddle with top-most power and control. Since the paddle is well-balanced, driving the ball all the way towards the opponent becomes a piece of cake.
1. The paddle’s safety is ensured by integrating the finest overlapping edge guard, protecting the paddle from chipping away along the edges – increasing the paddle’s longevity by 40% in comparison with traditional wooden paddles.
2. The matte finish allows the ball to sink deeper into the surface of the paddle, escalating ball biting by approximately 30% to execute spinning shots without extra effort.
3. When the 4.87″ handle grip combines with the 10.63″ length of the paddle surface, it results in a total of 15.5″ paddle height which makes catching the ball a walk in the park.
4. The paddle comes with a broad 7.87″ width. However, it’s possible to further increase the breadth of the paddle up to 8.27″ by removing the protective edge guard (0.40″) from the rim.
The Niupipo Basswood comes in a complete package containing 6 indoor pickleballs, and 4 pickleball paddles. You can throw all the gear in the carrying bag that comes with the paddles to avoid further hassle.
6. Amazin’ Aces – Lightest Wood Paddle
The Amazin’ Aces Wood Pickleball Paddle besides being the first choice of beginners, the paddle has made a name for itself as one of the most aerodynamic wooden pickleball paddles by virtue of its super lightweight, making it an ideal option not only for newcomers but also for the individuals suffering from lateral epicondylitis and similar medical complications.
1. The 7-ply construction of the wooden paddle not only provides exceptional durability but also an exemplary combination of strength and ball management for that perfect placement with maximum accuracy.
2. The comfortable, moisture-wicking 5.5 inches grip is clinically tested to reduce blisters, accidental rubs, and abrasions on the palm.
3. The spacious 7.5″ wider surface of the wooden paddle when fused with 15.6″ length turns it into a must-have piece of equipment, especially for the players below 6 feet, as it offers amazin’ reach near the net.
4. Despite its 10 ounce weight, the paddle feels quite light in the hand. Thanks to the handle that absorbs most of the weight of the paddle and provides a smooth gameplay experience.
When looking for a paddle with speed, strength, control, and forgiveness, the Amazin’ Aces is second to none.
7. Swinger Wood – Most Affordable Wooden Paddle
The Swinger Wood Paddle is exclusively built to take your pickleball to the next level whether you’re playing solo or doubles, the paddle has got your back since it packs a punch in every swing because of its adequate mass – hence the name swinger.
1. The paddle features quite a compact grip of circumference 4″, complementing players with small hands.
2. The 4.5″ paddle handle is wrapped around with a slightly tackier grip that is ribbed along the edges for an anti-skid effect, that too with a comfortable feel and better performance
3. The 5-ply hardwood construction of the paddle core allows for improved feedback with every other shot.
4. Unlike most paddles, the handle of this one feels more like a squared grip rather than the traditional octagonal shape.
The Swinger is proved to be very durable even in harsh weather conditions as the face of the paddle is varnished with a clear coat, making it resistant against stains, water damage, and natural wear and tear.
Buying Guide: Wooden Pickleball Paddles
Now that you have gone through the entire article regarding the best wood pickleball paddles but here comes the bigger question. What are the things you should keep an eye out for while purchasing a wooden paddle? Hence why we have come up with a buying guide, entailing each and everything you need to know before you put the money into a wood paddle.
First and foremost, contemplating how much the wooden paddle weighs is pretty important. Although almost all the wooden paddles are quite heavy as compared to graphite or composite paddles, and this is one of the biggest factors differentiating wood vs graphite pickleball paddle. However, the ideal weight for a wooden pickleball paddle should be between 9.5 ounces to 12 ounces.
The lighter paddles offer more control while the heavier ones provide greater power, and so is the case with wooden paddles, as they’re very heavy, you can send the ball flying without adding extra strength behind your shots. But this power comes at the expense of less control.
Grip Size & Handling
Secondly, the grip circumference and paddle handle should be examined. A paddle that doesn’t perfectly fit in the palms is more likely to cause problems not only on the court, but you could also end up on a hospital bed.
A paddle grip that is rather too long (5+ inches), might offer the player more stability when smashing overhead volleys. However, the smaller grips (4″ – 4.5″) allow the individuals for more wrist movement, resulting in control over the paddle to a great extent.
If you ever found yourself asking “are wooden pickleball paddles good?”, don’t tell yourself a no without checking out the construction and its output on the court. They’re one of the most rigid paddles out there, with which a beginner can be a real banger in no time. Plus, the shape of the paddle has a lot more to do with performance than one thinks. A paddle measuring about 16 inches lengthwise and 8 inches widthwise are said to be standard shaped. These paddles offer just the right combination of power, control, and forgiveness in equal proportions.
Paddles exceeding the 16″ length are known as elongated paddles and are exceptional since they equip the player with more reach which is helpful, especially near the non-volley zone. The elongated construction of the paddle comes at the cost of a smaller sweet spot because of its narrow width.
Wooden paddles are already prominent for their durability, but wrapping an edge guard around its borders wouldn’t hurt anyone. The paddles that are protected with a high-quality edge guard preserve it from chipping away along the edges due to constant force applied when the ball comes in contact with the paddle and adds several years to its life.
Fun Fact: More than 95% of wooden pickleball paddles come without an edge guard.
Wooden pickleball paddles have either a satin varnish or clear coat finish on the surface to safeguard them from dirt and dust particles. Along with protecting the paddles from UV radiations, these varnishes give the paddles a gleaming look.
Whether you’re a pickleball starter or someone who has plenty of championships under their belt, opting for the best wood pickleball paddle that fits your pickleball needs can be a piece of work because of the multiple options that are available.
The Rally Meister is our top pick as the best wood pickleball paddle because of its durability and ease of use. This relatively lightweight wooden paddle integrates a comfortable grip that wicks the moisture away instantly which makes swinging the paddle a joy.
- Self-esteem strategies for the bashful and Insecure Dater - February 4, 2023
- Best Pickleball Paddle for Beginners [Reviewed in 2023] - January 18, 2023
- Best Pickleball Paddle – Championship Level Paddles - January 16, 2023