Imagine wearing a shoe without socks… BEST LEVEL AWFUL, right? That’s what pickleball shoes are without their counterparts. Yes, I’m talking about the best pickleball socks I’ve reviewed here. For a quick recommendation, Tharlos Unisex Socks takes the cake for providing the best cushion, feel, and moisture-wicking ability.
What makes a pair of socks great, you may wonder? Simply put, it’s durable, feels very comfy, and protects against injuries. If your sock drawer has transformed into something of a black hole of worthless junk, then it is time to toss the ragged socks in the bin and revamp your collection.
Best Pickleball Socks
You’ve stocked up on the finest pickleball paddle to send the ball soaring through the air. You’ve also got your hands on top-of-the-line athletic shoes for a performance that’s out of this world – but you haven’t paid much attention to footwear, right? Well, that kinda socks! Whether you want to rock your killer sneaker game or want to get comfy in a breathable pair, check out 7 of the best pickleball socks I’ve personally tried that’ll undoubtedly make a difference the next time you put them on and descend into the battlefield.
Thorlos Unisex Socks
Os1st pb4 pickleball socks
Fila Crew Socks
Nike Dri-Fit Cushion Crew Socks
Prince Mens Quarter Performance Socks
OS1st FS4 No Show Compression Socks
Darn Tough Vermont Lightweight Athletic Sock
1. Thorlos Unisex Socks – Best Vibration Absorbing Socks
The Thorlos Unisex Socks are undoubtedly the best-cushioned socks on the market today. They’re made out of the perfect blend of spandex and nylon. The level of comfort I’ve felt after putting on the socks is on the next level because of the cushioned padding at the toebox. The padding is further extended to the heel for maximum comfort during matches.
- The fabric material of the socks is composed of 88% woven acrylic, 10% nylon, and 2% spandex, making the Thorlos extremely durable.
- As per the research of SFIA, the additional padding at the toebox and heel has proven to be viable in safeguarding the feet from abrasions.
- The moisture-wicking ability of the socks holds the sweat on the surface of the fabric rather than absorbing it, preventing the sweat from soaking into the fabric. I’ve consecutively worn these socks for over 3 hairs and never had sweaty feet and toes.
The Thorlos Unisex Socks are specifically designed for pickleball enthusiasts and tennis devotees. Reason? The extra padding absorbs the vibrations stemming from sudden stops and switching directions.
2. OS1st PB4 Pickleball Sock – Top Choice for Support
The OS1st PB4 Socks are explicitly designed to take the pickleball game up a notch. The socks ensure comfort and provide phenomenal stability throughout the entire match by incorporating an arch band over the top and bottom surfaces.
- The socks comprise excellent quality materials, including 17% Bamboo Charcoal, 4% Lycra Spandex, and 79% Micro-Nylon for top-notch comfort—all of which results in an excellent pair.
- The foot soreness is minimized to zero, thanks to the blister protection near the heel area.
- This superlight fabric of the sock is equipped with soft tissues inside the fabric, which makes the airflow in and out of the socks pretty easy. This helped me in keeping my feet sweat-free during intense pickleball action.
The OS1st Pickleball is the ideal pair of socks for the agile and fast-moving players that dash through the baseline all the way to the kitchen, as it maintains friction between the feet and the surface of the ground.
3. Fila Crew Socks – Excellent for Mesh Ventilation
Fila Crew is integrated with DRYMAX technology, specifically to keep your feet away from moisture during highly intensive matches. The toe is particularly covered with mesh for additional protection against high impact. The comfort of the socks is enhanced with the right combination of nylon, Drymax/Olefin, elastane, and polyester.
- This comfortable design is made with vented arch bands that help maintain the perfect stance, as the traction force is exceptional in these socks.
- I, along with a number of pickleball players, felt no sweat since the fabric is composed of a network of tiny threads – allowing the air to ventilate quickly and easily.
- The pain and soreness are diminished to zero because of the integration of the heel vents. As a result, more than 100 people reported having less struggle with plantar fasciitis since switching to the Fila Crew.
What is the cherry on top? The Fila Crew is produced with two layers. The inner layer is responsible for wicking up the moisture and transferring it to the outer layer, NOT ON THE SURFACE. When it comes to quality with slick design, nothing can overshadow the Fila Crew.
4. Nike Dri-Fit Cushion Crew Socks – Best Polyester Socks
Take your comfort to the next level with the Nike Dri-Fit Socks. Fabricated mainly with Polyester, among other materials, including Cotton, Nylon, and Spandex, to offer over-the-top performance on the court without sacrificing support for comfort or vice versa.
- Infused with Dri-Fit Technology that not only wicks the moisture out but also prevents the growth of bacteria and lessens the threat of sores and blisters.
- The bottom facet is incorporated with a Thick Terry Sole that takes in all the vibrations originating from excessive movements, making the entire pickleball experience very smooth.
- The wide design of the socks provides substantial room for improved breathability through the thick fabric.
The reason why I included the Nike Dry-Fit in this list is due to The molecules inside the fabric of the socks that are engineered to make the socks slip-free. A top choice for pickle ballers that dashes through the court from one corner to another.
5. Prince Mens Quarter Performance Socks – Top Moisture-Wicking Socks
Extremely smooth toe seam? Check. Perfect fit? Check. Comfortable cushioning? Check. Prince Men’s Quarter is designed especially for pickleball and other sports activities, including tennis and badminton. Plus point? These breathable socks will let you power through your workout session without breaking a sweat.
The key takeaways that sum up the Prince Men’s Quarter Performance Socks are:
- The 97% polyester injected in the formation of the socks will let your feet remain as dry as possible, reducing the risk of blisters and bruises to a minimum throughout fierce battles with your opponent.
- Likewise, the integrated 3% spandex also allows the molecules inside the fabric to stretch to their maximum extent, making the socks significantly flexible.
- These pair of socks shine brightly near the kitchen line due to the vibration absorption, courtesy of the sufficient cushioning at the sole, taking in all the shocks arising from quick movements.
If you get these socks, I can guarantee you, they’ll last for over 4 months. You can abuse them, wear them daily, these socks are the fighters!
6. OS1st FS4 No Show Compression Socks – Perfect for Durability
The OS1st F4 Compression Socks are the best to get rid of foot fatigue and sprain while supplementing a substantial cushioning that’ll certainly enrich your comfortability. The nylon construction of these durable socks plays quite a vital role in mopping up the moisture surfacing from excess maneuver on the court.
- The socks come with Compression Zone Technology, aiding in reducing the risk of plantar fasciitis, soreness, and aches. Making it an ideal pair of socks for pickleballers.
- The seamless design of the socks provides ultimate support and helps maintain balance while sprinting and coming to a stop.
- The socks come with additional layers so you can keep performing with flying colors without coming to a halt.
In a nutshell, the OS1st FS4 Compression Socks are my favorite since they’re manufactured with only one thing in mind, and that’s comfort combined with amusement.
7. Darn Tough Vermont Lightweight Athletic Socks | Top Odor -Resistant Socks
When dealing with the subject of extreme athleticism, Darn Toughs Athletic Socks clicks into the mind. These long-lasting pairs of socks are carefully woven with 51% Merino Wool 45% Nylon 4% Lycra Spandex, providing comfort that is second to none.
- These non-slippery socks really make a difference for pickleball players that are more likely to rush forward for smashing volleys. It let my feet stay snug in my shoes when my brain craves to roll the toes inside.
- The ¼-quarter height of the socks fits like a glove, neither too tight nor too loose. Easily a top choice for sports enthusiasts.
- The best part? The moisture-wicking fiber prevents your feet from sweating, eventually protecting against fungus and bacterial infections.
All these amazing qualities make these socks a darn good option for athletes like me to opt for.
What to Look for When Shopping for Athletic Socks?
Socks are one of the most crucial factors that influence your performance in the field. In order to answer the burning question, i.e. what should I look for when going to purchase a pair of sports socks? I’ve put together in this buying guide some of the major determinants that must be kept in mind.
Length & Cuts:
There exist socks with multiple heights, so it is pretty essential to know what sort of length to consider.
Ankle Socks/No-Show Socks/Low-Cut Socks:
These are the type of socks that runners go for most of the time. The reason? Comfort and cool. Basically, these socks don’t go above the ankle and are invisible through the shoes, hence the name ankle socks or no-show socks.
These socks are widely used not only in recreational activities but also for casual use too. They reach above the ankle a few inches and perfectly fit below the calf. They also come in shorter versions called mini-crew socks that only cover the ankle.
Also known as trouser socks, these pairs of socks make you look more athletic and also protect you from a mildly shivering breeze. The length of these socks is about halfway up the calf.
These socks go just below the knee and come in handy mostly for outdoor sports to keep the protective shin guards in their position.
Extended all the way up to the knee and just below the thighs, these over-the-knee socks are usually used to keep knee pads and other protective equipment around the knee in their place and simultaneously offer supreme coverage and length.
The optimal material that one should go for is the one that instantly wicks the moisture away from the skin and keeps it dry, as well as the fiber that provides the topmost comfort. Plenty of sports fanatics usually go for socks composed of either acrylic or synthetic fiber, solely because of the moisture-wicking ability.
Although some of the most commendable fabric materials for athletic sports are:
Socks made of wool effortlessly top the list as they’re the most breathable, non-irritating, odor-resistant, and give off a softer touch. Hence why they’re priced a bit higher in comparison with socks knitted from other materials. Merino wool, in particular, can maintain body temperature. That’s why these socks are a viable option for both summer and winter sports.
Nylon & Acrylic:
Both these materials go hand in hand when combined together and form a moisture-wicking fabric. Along with that, these synthetic fibers offer immeasurable support and comfort.
Other Natural Fibers:
Linen, silk, wool, and cotton are the most common natural fibers used in clothing. However, the last two (i.e. wool and cotton) are used in manufacturing socks. It should be kept in mind that cotton doesn’t wick moisture, but rather retains it. Therefore, it is highly recommended to not go for 100% cotton socks but opt for ones that contain some percentage of other natural fibers.
The additional features that one should keep an eye out totally depend upon the severity of their sport. If you’re playing pickleball in the scorching heat, you’re expected to put on thinner socks with moisture-wicking ability. Similarly, when skiing at -8° Celsius, you’re probably going to go for something that keeps you warm and snuggly.
So, don’t neglect these key factors when shopping for athletic socks:
It is suggested to choose a fabric material that has the ability to wick moisture away from the skin. Fabrics combined with wool, polyester, or acrylic work like a charm in terms of keeping the feet dry and sweat-free.
Cushioning & Support:
It is immensely critical to look for socks that have extra padding, especially at the heel and toebox to keep the blisters and abrasions at bay. Not only does the additional cushion provide support, but at the same time, absorbs high-impact vibrations that may arise from excessive motion.
Slipping & Bunching:
Always pick socks that are stretchable enough to slide perfectly on the foot. Socks that slither off frequently might take your concentration off of your game, which is the last thing you want during a vicious battle against your foe.
Compression socks help in applying pressure to the lower legs, maintaining the circulation of blood, and concurrently lessening soreness and ache.
Nobody wants to step into the court with smelly feet. Socks made of wool and polyester are excellent at wicking moisture, which is basically the main cause of the weird scent. So, go for socks manufactured of either polyester or wool if you don’t want to smell funny on the pitch. Temperature: As mentioned above, weather conditions should be kept in check before the final purchase of the pairs of socks. If you’re taking part in winter sports, look for something that’ll keep your feet warm. In the case of summer, find socks that’ll keep the feet cool and airy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Finding the best pickleball socks is indeed a challenging task, as there are numerous alternatives to choose from. The main thing to look out for? Level of comfort, ease of use, the right size, and durability.
Thorlos Unisex Socks provides just that AND more! The shock absorption quality of the socks, when combined with moisture-wicking capability, offers the most comfort along with protection against accidental scraping and blisters, making the Thorlos Unisex Socks the cream of the crop not only for pickleball but for similar paddle sports as well.
- Best Pickleball Paddle for Beginners [Reviewed in 2023] - January 18, 2023
- Best Pickleball Paddle – Championship Level Paddles - January 16, 2023
- Best Pickleball Paddles for Advanced Players – Win the Toughest Pickleball Games - January 16, 2023